Fri, 14 Oct|
OGA/ Guide level 2+18hr Remote First Aid Course.
A 4 day course that will complete your OGA Level 2 Guides and First Aid at work certificate in one course (Remote and motorcycle specific skills included).
Time & Location
14 Oct, 10:00
Alston, Alston CA9 3LH, UK
About The Event
Prerequisites to attend the course:
• You will be comfortable/ competent riding unsurfaced tracks Green Lanes on a bike of your choice.
• You are competent to follow a GPX track provided to you via email/ Bluetooth on a device of your choosing- commonly used: a smart phone/ dedicated GPS like a Garmin Montana.
NB. The Level 2 Course is aimed at people who have previous expereince who can ride and navigate competantly- These skills will not be taught on the course.
Over four days you will be trained and assessed for your Outdoor First Aid qualification and the Level 2 Guides Certificate ( OGA) . This course is spread over four days to accommodate for the short days and the possible poor weather that we may have in October. The four-day courses are often considered the better option because it gives a greater duration to master your new and developing skills.
£400pp. excluding Food and Accommodation
The Friday morning and Saturday will be indoors, where we will cover the Guiding framework and the CPR element of the First Aid course. The Sunday will be based predominiantly outside, developing our First Aid incident skills and decision making. The Friday afternoon and all day Monday will involve a trail ride and the completion of the guides syllabus.
The course is delivered in a kinaesthetic style, with the emphasis on easy decisions at difficult times.
First Aid Element Competencies:
This First Aid course for those who participate or lead medium to higher risk activities in remote places (more than 30 minutes
- Guidance on current best practice and legislation
- Assessments of situations and casualty
- Airway, breathing and circulation assessments
- Emergency resuscitation (including use of AED's)
- Safe airway positions
- Dealing with choking
- Treatment of severe bleeding and shock
- Major injuries, including chest, head and pelvic injuries
- Treatment of fractures
- Environmental injuries such as hypothermia and hyperthermia
- Life threatening conditions such as heart attack, asthma, diabetes, strokes, seizures, burns and anaphylactic shock
- Injury management in an outdoor situation
- Incident management scenarios
- Long term care of a casualty in remote areas.
- Moving and carrying a casualty
- Decision tools for evacuation
Assessment will be ongoing for all the above subjects- we will look for understanding and/or skills once the subject has been taught.
Level 2 Guide: Commercial Guide providing Adventures in developed countries within Europe
- Pre-Ride planning
- Able to assess riders needs and abilities
- Check weather conditions and make judgments on the forecast
- Plan a ride to suit the needs of the group, single or multiple days
- Able to use GPS systems/ Maps ( please note this skill will not be taught as its a pre- requisite)
- Able to give a clear and precise Pre-Ride Brief to Standard
- Confident and positive group management skills
- Documentations requirements and organisational procedures
- Duty of Care
- Customer Care
- Incident Management
- Understands Access in the relevant locations of operations.
- Understands their role and how to manage Level 1 Run Leaders
- Understands Multi-day advenutres and how to set appropriate distances and expectations for the group.
- Understands Guided and Self Guided forms of advenutre and how to manage them efectively.
Assessment will be ongoing for all the above subjects- we assess for understanding and/or skills to be demostrated effectively-once the subject has been taught.
Your riding and naviation skills are pre-requisites to join the course, however these abilities will be assessed as a holistic skills combined with the guiding skills you have lerned on the course. Your ability to navigate, ride and guide a group anywhere is essential for the Level 2 award.
£400 per person food and accomadation is not included.
Day 1 Guiding Roles and Knowledge.The conservatory - Bunkhouse
8 hours 30 minutes
Day 2 First Aid SkillsAlston Community Centre